4.7.11

AMERICA LOVIN' ON 4TH JULY

So it's 4th July today. It's also about 6 months until I pack up my things, say goodbye to a life in London for I don't know how long for, and say hello to a life in America. (New York to be precise). Some people (a lot of people) say that New York isn't really 'America', but either way, I'm feeling quite excited by the prospect of it being a special all American day today.
And I've also been meaning to post about Tom Cops: A photographer from England who has shot some b-e-a-u-t-iful pics of the states. Perfect timing for this post huh?!
Back to his work. Here is a selection of his pictures from America 2007 and 2010... I'm in love with all of them. Shot on medium format film, nostalgic, decrepit, sunny, stunning. They give me butterflies about the big move. He mixes the subject matter up by choosing some that are typically 'American' and what you'd expect, with others that are unusual and thought provoking, or very simple and completely stripped back.




Check out his portrait photography too.


Lastly, here's a vid of the amazing Band of Horses' General Specific. Tenuous link to 4th of July, but it's in the lyrics and that's enough for me...
"Knowing up here, there comes a fork in the road, pants have gotta go, we're on an island on the fourth of July, looks like the tide is going home." 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years.”

Thomas Wolfe. American short story writer and novelist, 1900-1938