22.4.11

THE BIRDS AND THE BEES

I cycle through Islington everyday on the way to work, but it wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I noticed this beautiful art installation along one of its back roads (Duncan Terrace Gardens). 
I obviously don’t look around enough.

I’ve been wanting to write about it since that day—but it took me a while to lug my big camera along the commute with me. But I eventually did, and I snapped these shots. Having now done some research into what it is, I’ve found out that it’s been installed for a good few months (I definitely have tunnel vision), but for those that haven’t seen or heard about it, here’s some info.

The installation ‘Pleasure Garden for Birds’ by London Fieldworks, is one of two ‘East and West’ London installations, and is made from hundreds of bespoke bird and bug boxes. Their form is inspired by the surrounding architecture, although they also contribute to the lifecycle of birds (giving them homes, sweet!). It looks as though the boxes have taken on a life of their own, and are ‘protecting' the tree somehow. That may be just how my mind works, but I think that’s nice. They have been commissioned by the local council as part of The Secret Garden Project, which aims to spread the word of lesser known green spaces and urban corners in London.  They'll be around for the next 2 ½ years, so you have a while to check them out...

No comments: