1.3.11

THE UNION CHAPEL, ISLINGTON

I’d never been to the Union Chapel in Islington until 2 weeks ago, and then went twice in as many weeks. First, I was there for 5x15. 5x15 is based on a beautifully simple concept: an eclectic mix of speakers from all walks of life speak to an audience (not so eclectic, it was in Islington after all), for 15 minutes each. The evening’s speakers included Janet Street-Porter, Judith Kerr and Amy Chau, who talked about everything from pyramid-shaped food, to parenting Chinese-style. It was a great experience, but as you would expect, pretty sober.
What then, would a gig be like when I come back next week? Which brings me onto my second trip to The Union Chapel. (Naively), I was imaging something quite different to the week before: I thought the candles and listeners sitting in pews might be replaced by an at-least standing semi-raucous crowd. But the candles were still there, and the listeners were still sitting. Alexander Ebert supported The Bees, and both were amazing. Could this be a new way of listening to music? Probably not. But you should get yourself down there for a gig anyway.




No comments: